“Far better it is for you to say: "I am a sinner," than to say: "I have no need of religion." The empty can be filled, but the self-intoxicated have no room for God.” - Blessed Fulton J. Sheen

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Truth is out there

Or maybe I've just been watching too much X-Files (oh wait, that's not a thing).

I believe that the Catholic Church is 100% right. I believe that it is the Church established by Christ, and that it has, in it's doctrine, capital T, Truth.

But, and it's something I think about a lot, so do you. You equally think that you have Truth. And that's something all of us need to recognize. Each of us believe that what we know is true. We all have a set of rules that guide our lives. We all put our trust in something. We all stand up for our idea of right. So when discussing matters of Truth, we need to hold each other in the highest regard. What we believe makes us who we are.

This dovetails nicely into my next point. I want this blog (if it gets any readers) to be a place of discussion. But I've seen discussions on the internet, and they're awful. Name calling, SCREAMING, derogatory remarks... all of that's out there. So let's keep it civil people. No screaming, no name calling, no cursing. If you have a point to make (and this is one of my pet peeves) don't just state it bluntly: support it. Let's take a look at a bad conversation:

Al: Women shouldn't be priests.
Rach: The male dominated hierarchy is sexist and so are you.
Brent: **** you Al.

.... Don't do that. Instead, try something like this.

Al: I don't believe women should be priests because all of Jesus's apostles were male. He had the opportunity to do so, but chose not to.
Rach: But Jesus lived in a male dominated society. He couldn't have picked a woman priest. It doesn't mean we shouldn't be priests now.
Al: But He broke every other cultural norm. He established a new covenant which brought to the old to fulfillment. Surely women as priests wouldn't have been a stretch for Him. He is God after all.
Brent: So how would you explain why the early Christians had Deaconesses?

Isn't that better? The discussion goes forward, points are made, and everyone goes away enriched. I know my ideal might be a little high, but why not hold ourselves to it? I believe in us. After all, there is such a thing as Truth, and it's a discussion that needs to be had.

I promise in the next post I'll get to some actual Apologetics.

Sayonara,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment