“Far better it is for you to say: "I am a sinner," than to say: "I have no need of religion." The empty can be filled, but the self-intoxicated have no room for God.” - Blessed Fulton J. Sheen

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sola Scriptura: What does the Bible say about it?

What the Bible says: 
(Douay-Rheims translation, all emphasis is mine)

Matt 16:18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.


Eph 2:20 Built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone


Eph 3:10 That the manifold wisdom of God may be made known to the principalities and powers in heavenly places through the church


Eph 3:20-21 Now to him who is able to do all things more abundantly than we desire or understand, according to the power that worketh in us;


To him be glory in the church, and in Christ Jesus unto all generations, world without end. Amen.


1 Tim 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Heb 13:7 Remember your prelates who have spoken the word of God to you; whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation,
Heb 13:17 Obey your prelates, and be subject to them. For they watch as being to render an account of your souls; that they may do this with joy, and not with grief. For this is not expedient for you.
Matt 10:40 He that receiveth you, receiveth me: and he that receiveth me, receiveth him that sent me.

Matt 28:18-20 And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth.

Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.

2 Thess 2:14 (2:15 in KJV) Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle.

Matt 18:15-17  But if thy brother shall offend against thee, go, and rebuke him between thee and him alone. If he shall hear thee, thou shalt gain thy brother.

And if he will not hear thee, take with thee one or two more: that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may stand.
And if he will not hear them: tell the church. And if he will not hear the church, let him be to thee as the heathen and publican.

Acts 8:30-32  And Philip running thither, heard him reading the prophet Isaias. And he said: Thinkest thou that thou understandest what thou readest?

Who said: And how can I, unless some man shew me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him

1 Cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord which that  I also delivered onto you
Additional verses not listed: 1 Thess 2:13, Eph 4:11-15  


No comments:

Post a Comment