“Far better it is for you to say: "I am a sinner," than to say: "I have no need of religion." The empty can be filled, but the self-intoxicated have no room for God.” - Blessed Fulton J. Sheen

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

No Middle Ground

Have you ever seen a cartoon where a character, a wolf or a bunny or what have you, is straddling a chasm that just keeps getting wider and wider? Eventually, the character has to make a choice. One side or the other. Of course, most of the time their legs stretch apart and they spring back up or fall down into the chasm, or some such cartoon silliness.

Here's the point I'm trying to make. Over the last few months, maybe a year, I've felt like that cartoon character. I'm stretched over an ever widening chasm, and I have to make a decision. Except once I choose which side to jump to, that's it. I can't go back.

So on my right, I've got my Church (Catholic, if you were wondering). I've got her teachings, her doctrine, her people, her Savior. On my left, the world. A number of my friends, some of my family, my comfort zone, my temporary pleasure. And maybe until now, standing with one foot on either side was fine. But if you've watched the news lately, you know that times are a changing. It's getting pretty difficult to stand on both sides. The world and the Church are at such odds now, which they've always been, but it's so very public and polarizing.

Hence, my blog. I'm writing for me, mostly. I'm giving myself the knowledge to understand and defend my Church. But I'm hoping too, that if you're out there, and like me you find yourself struggling, that maybe this will offer you some comfort, too. I'll be starting with some basic stuff. The hardball questions (gay marriage, abortion, contraception, the nuns on a bus) will take some more detailed planning on my part.

That being said, if you have a question you want me to address (you know, if I ever get readers) feel free to drop a comment about it. I'll read them and do my best.

Thanks for reading!

Humbly yours,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment